Hi, I’m Roger Lapin, a Close up Magician, I joined the Magic Circle a few years ago and if you are thinking about it, the process is outlined below.
The Magic Circle is the worlds premier Magic Society and being part of this very unique club is something every Magician wants to be part of. One of the biggest benefits for me is to be able to display the magic circle logo on all your marketing materials, it is membership to a very elite club that is recognised across the world.
There are only a few conditions to be able to join the Magic Circle
- You must be a competent Magician – Professional or Amateur
- You must be over 18
- You need to know 2 other members of the Magic Circle who can support our application.
- You then need to pass an interview on your magic knowledge
- Next you need to perform a 12 minute audition routine
- Finally, the council will ratify your membership
- Oh and you have to pay a bit of money, but not much…
If you don’t currently know 2 members of the Magic Circle the best way is to join a local magic club and make some new friends, they will need to have known you for at least 1 year.
The Application Process
Firstly if you satisfy all the above criteria you need to submit your application to the Magic Circle which needs to be supported by two current members.
Once your application is received you will be contacted to come to London to the Magic Circle HQ for an interview.
This is a discussion about your current magic ability, your performances and your magic influences. It’s an opportunity for the Magic Circle to get to you know you. Once you pass this interview you will then be invited to perform your audition.
If you are unable to get to London for your interview / audition there are times when the Magic Circle will come to local magic clubs and perform a few auditions at once. I am not sure how frequent these are, but most Magicians are very excited about coming to London and actually getting behind the world famous doors of the Magic Circle.
This is probably the most daunting part of process to join the Magic Circle, the audition!
This is a performance of up to 12 minutes on a Monday night in front of 3 judges and as many members who want to watch the auditions. Typically everyone is very friendly and want to do well so will turn up to support you and there can be up to 50 people watching! The auditions usually take place before the main club night around 6:30pm at the Magic Circle HQ in London
You don’t need to blow the judges away with some unique magic method that nobody has seen before, save that for your interview to get into the inner magic circle.
All you need to do is deliver a solid professional and clean performance, dress smart and pick 2-3 of your favourite tricks which you can do with your eyes shut and just perform them well.
The judges are looking for a good presentation and a good magic ability.
You are then marked and you get your results in a few weeks.
For More Information
How much does it cost to join the Magic Circle?
There is an initial joining fee, which is currently £100 and an Annual Membership Fee, which is between £85 and £200. Depending on where you live. More info here:
What are the benefits of being a Member of the Magic Circle?
- Firstly the kudos you get from being able to say you are a member of the worlds premier magic society!
- You get a printed magazine called the Magic Circular
- You get access to the Magic Circle HQ – club nights are on a Monday and there is always a lecture or something going on
- You can use Member of the Magic Circle on your website, business cards etc
- You get to mix with other magicians and can always be learning.
- If you can’t get to London every Monday night you will also gain access to the Magic Circle Facebook group which streams all the lectures live on a Monday and you can go back and watch them later.
- You also get an @themagiccircle.co.uk email address
What if you are under 18?
If you are under 18 but over the age of 10 you can join the Young Magicians Club
This is a club for “Young Magicians” who meet one Saturday a month at the Magic Circle HQ in London for a day of lectures and socialising. You also get a monthly magazine for only £35
Most members of the Young Magicians Club go onto joining the Magic Circle and becoming full time professional Magicians.
I hope you enjoyed this introduction to the Magic Circle, and if you are looking to find a London Magician for hire you have just found one of them!